Friday, May 23, 2014

Migrations & Change

I've started several blogs associated with my photography and the photage visual illusions I've created. Understanding my work is a dynamic process not unlike the illusions shifting perspectives - an evolution of sorts. It is my goal to migrate the previous posts here but with offered with a new dimension, an evolving perspective & story. A disclaimer here I am not a Bible scholar, I speak from what I know and perceive, and open this for discussion or comment.

About the name of this blog - in the song refers to Perek Shira - Chapter Song - which shares the voice/song of all of creation...animal, vegetable and mineral. As much of my photography work focuses on wildlife & nature, and is subsequently incorporated into my photages, it seems fitting to explore my relationship with the spiritual aspects of this gift.

As a scientist, I've developed my observational and reasoning skills; as an educator & writer I've been able to enhance my ability to communicate, and share knowledge and understanding about the amazing world around us.

I have been privileged to explore and in many ways discover for the first time, an amazing diversity of plants and animals, and with it a greater appreciation for our responsibility for this world.  Within the context of Perek Shira and its 85 verses which are excerpted from the Psalms (Tehilim), Prophets (Nevi'im) and other sources, we can hear the individual songs and see how these relate to us.

Within the context of my photage work which are developed as juxtapositions of two or more images into a content-rich story, and as such the Song of Creation can be viewed as a chorus of song - complex interactions but somehow rooted in simplicity through simple acts and actions. The title of this post is Migrations and Change, and which is as much about wildlife and nature as it is about the personal changes and my own migration, or in this case immigration to Israel. 

The photos I have included here are of some of the magnificent bird species I have seen recently. These are not always the best photographs but they document an experience in the moment...in the song. 

The Crane says: 
"Give thanks to Hashem with the lyre; play for Him with the ten-stringed harp." 
(Psalms 33:2)

I am focusing on a particular group of birds - the herons, egrets and ibis which are described in Chapter 4 of Perek Shira within the verse related to Cranes. While their flying characteristics are different, these are waterfowl breed and nest near the water, marshes and wetlands. 

The ibis is particularly known for capitalizing on new water sources - which is true of this photo as they are located near a flooded area following significant rainstorms in Colorado. The rain as it was came in a torrential downpour, flooding many streets and areas.

It was in the middle of the spring storm on 5.22.2014 (just yesterday) that I tried to escape the heavy traffic and flooded streets, by heading over to the lagoon outside the Denver Zoo where I knew flocks of snowy egrets and cormorants were nesting. To my surprise I also found male and female night herons at the water's edge; in the image below a black-headed night heron is perched on a tree branch at the water's edge.What a treat it was - a new discovery!



The landscape changed dramatically following the rain, tree branches and leaves littered the sidewalks and roads, and tumbleweeds and reeds were washed away by the rain and winds. 

When we pray for rain, formally or otherwise, it is with the caveat of..."for a blessing and not for a curse." We hope for a metered measure of rain, of water - for what we need both for crops and our own sustenance. But water is a powerful force of nature, shifting with the gravitational pull of the moon, able to etch and cut through metal and stone in industrial uses or in the smoothing of rocks as the river flows.Water has amazing properties - adhesion and cohesion, high surface tension, heat capacity, it is considered a universal solvent... (http://water.usgs.gov/edu/water-facts.html).

Water is the lifeblood of the Earth. It is what NASA searches for on other planets looking for signs of life. Here on this planet, approximately 70% of the Earth's surface is covered by water, and a smaller percentage of this amount is freshwater as opposed to saltwater. Unfortunately, water is not always respected or appreciated as a limited resource, a vital resource. The crane and the other waterfowl whose existence is intimately dependent and related to water sing the song from Perek Shira of giving thanks and which is interpreted as giving thanks by many for water. Whether you're an environmentalist or not it is a lesson we too can learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment